Range Murata at Sakura-Con 2014

Soundtracks, artbooks, and much more!
Tara
Administrator

Range Murata at Sakura-Con 2014

Post by Tara »

Sadly I was not there though my friend nabbed me an autograph from him. :3 But here is what he mentioned about Last Exile in his panel!

His favorite project was Last Exile, as he was basically allowed to create the entire world fror the Last Exile project. He based the giant airships off of zepplins and blimps, and added that he could talk forever about zepplins. His favorite character in Last Exile is Lavie. He expressed a bit of disappointment in the split between the two seasons of Last Exile which he characterized as unfortunate as the director wanted a "brighter look" for the 2nd season (Fam-The Silver Wing). He did say the 2nd season was still fun though, and he put lots of work into the army uniforms.

When asked about the limitations of paper and CG, Murata explained that he used to use markers on paper, but was limited with what he could use in terms of colors. With CG he could use an infinite number of colors and can play around with the colors, but when the colors come out on a model or figure the color often comes out differently. Added that in season 2 of Last Exile that the militia designs didn't fulfill his expectations as there was a lot of detail that couldn't be recreated in animation, and added that during production he can sometimes put a lot of detail into a character that ends up dying.

Another difference in Last Exile season two was the look of the Glacies, it was a departure in style for him, he added that he based the country off of Soviet Russian military bases and found the Rockets "cute". There were 4 countries he was responsable for so he needed to make the look for each country different.

Read the full summary of the panel here!