Help with decoding chronometer

Fanart, fanfiction, cosplay, graphics ... anything you create yourself, share it all!
Mellin

Help with decoding chronometer

Post by Mellin »

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and I have a question:
Does anyone here know what exactly what is written on the face of a racing chronometer used in Vanships?
I've been trying to decode it myself for a long time and was only able to get this:
Spoiler
For those that might not know, in the original series, all vanship's gauges used English texts, written in the Greek alphabet:

Code: Select all

Α α-A	Β β-B	Χ χ-C	Δ δ-D
Ε ε-E	Φ ϕ-F	Γ γ-G	Η η-H
Ι ι-I	ϑ φ-J	Κ κ-K	Λ λ-L
Μ μ-M	Ν ν-N	Ο ο-O	Π π-P
Θ θ-Q	Ρ ρ-R	Σ σ-S	Τ τ-T
Υ υ-U	Ϛ ϖ-V	Ω ω-W	Ξ ξ-X
Ψ ψ-Y	Ζ ζ-Z
Using those + screens form the show + images and scans of Last Exile art books I was able to decode first line and a first word of the second line.

My full set of questions is:
1)Does anyone know the official text, that is written on that particular gauge?
2)Does anyone have a physical copy of either "Last Exile - Aerial Log", or "Last Exile - Chronicle" and could tell me what is written on that particular gauge?

Thank you for your help

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

First off, hello and welcome! YAY FOR MORE LAST EXILE FANS. Especially more that are so dedicated to stuff like this, because I love the challenge of this stuff sometimes. ♥

I checked out everything in the domain's galleries as references to see if anything needed a larger scanning. The Settings Materials page is sadly looks as grainy as it does in the scan irl. And checking the Aerial Log page compared to the Chronicles book, AL is definitely bigger and our best bet. Sadly ... it's hard to see even in the Aerial Log. :( I don't have bad eyesight, and even under my bright florescent lights in my house I'm like ????????

Still, I wanted to offer something up, so I scanned that part of the AL page on various settings and tried to see if some phone/camera attempts wielded any results. None of which are the best quality out there - like have you heard about how ultra HD the new iPhone X camera apparently is? If only I had something like that BUT EVEN THEN who knows if it would come out.

Anyway, all of my pics/scans are RIGHT HERE, all unedited and unresized on the off-chance anything helps, even a little.

What episode is your screencap you were working from from, if you remember? I can take a peek at some episodes too and see if I can find anything of help there.

Mellin

Post by Mellin »

Thank you for your contribution.
I will take a look and maybe some additional angels will be enough.

As for that episode: it was the first one, "First Move" about 6:40-6:50 when Claus and Lavie are preparing their Vanship.
The camera pans over the main pillars gauges while using the 3d model.

Mellin

Post by Mellin »

Using your photos @Tara I was able to decode some more.
Now I know that the second line consists of 3 words:
vanship - ϖανσηιπ
Guild - Γυιλδ
And the 3rd one...
I'm about 50% certain that it starts with an "M" and I'm 100% that it ends with "ing" and it has about 13 letters (+/-1) (including that "M" and "ing").

Any clue what that last word could be?

-TK-

Post by -TK- »

After checking the Aerial Log (both page 75 and page 99) my take on this is ϖανσηιπ Γυιλδ Mανυϕαχτυρινγ (Vanship Guild Manufacturing).

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

DAMN Y'ALL HAVE BETTER EYESIGHT THAN ME. :lol:

But I'm glad I could help out a bit! It sounds like we may have it!

Mellin

Post by Mellin »

Thank you so much!
This is exactly what I needed!

BTW.: Since I'm using this for a fanwork of my own, I would like to share my work.
Do I do it as an extension of this topic?

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Mellin wrote:Thank you so much!
This is exactly what I needed!

BTW.: Since I'm using this for a fanwork of my own, I would like to share my work.
Do I do it as an extension of this topic?
You can feel free to make a brand new topic just for it if you'd like!

Mellin

Post by Mellin »

Mellin

Post by Mellin »