The Battle of Otranto

Translations, scans and any other in-progress Last Exile related projects.
Csilla Aria

Post by Csilla Aria »

Tara wrote:
Csilla Aria wrote:I wonder how much of that was set up just to see Alex's reaction to completely unexpectedly just being handed the ship.
Probably a lot. Sophia sure did a lot of string-pulling through the years it seems. Also Percival seems like a bro.

Also the mention of Hamilcar. :(
Hamilcar :cry:

It sounds like Marius(Maybe even her father too? Do we even know when he started losing his marbles?) is doing a great deal to to help both her and Alex, but Sophia seems to be the master mind in helping Alex accomplish his goals.

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Yeah the line about specifically helping with his revenge at least makes it clear that she's aware of Alex's big goals.

ALSO! There are three "chapters" and an epilogue. The chapters I've been posting are apparently sub-chapters (there are 6 in all released right now), so the first chapter has 6 POVs, meaning once this set is done we'll be done with chapter 1. So it looks like we'll be getting a good more number of things soon. \o/

Wutschiwu

Post by Wutschiwu »

That is some awesome work!

I have been wondering about this Otranto Incident since the first time Vincent mentioned it in the series. The summary of the battle that -TK- posted was more than I could have hoped for, but this is even better. (and most likely as close to the original text as i will ever get ;) )

However, I do have one question. In (sub)chapter 4 the disith say that 'five ships of the Republic' were badly damaged. These are their own ships they are talking about, so is Disith a republic?
I find that hard to believe. I always imagined their governement as some kind of monarchy, espeacially since they would later form the United Kingdom of Anatoray-Disith.

I have no idea how the russian language works, but perhaps it is a mistranslation? I know that the disith battleship-class is called Reparation, so maybe that is what they meant. (The Reparation-class is, however, named as such at the end of the chapter, so i don't really have a clue here)

Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing!

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Wutschiwu wrote:That is some awesome work!

I have been wondering about this Otranto Incident since the first time Vincent mentioned it in the series. The summary of the battle that -TK- posted was more than I could have hoped for, but this is even better. (and most likely as close to the original text as i will ever get ;) )

However, I do have one question. In (sub)chapter 4 the disith say that 'five ships of the Republic' were badly damaged. These are their own ships they are talking about, so is Disith a republic?
I find that hard to believe. I always imagined their governement as some kind of monarchy, espeacially since they would later form the United Kingdom of Anatoray-Disith.

I have no idea how the russian language works, but perhaps it is a mistranslation? I know that the disith battleship-class is called Reparation, so maybe that is what they meant.

Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing!
I'M SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THIS TOO!! I know sometime in the distant future I was planning to maybe seek out the box set myself, but that was a long way off since I have other monetary priorities along the way (and LE stuff has its own order in and of itself if I get to the point where I can splurge on something, heh).

And glancing over the text the words are Репарасьон (Reparation) while Республики (Republic) is used in the line you pointed out. That sentence is "Следующие за ними пять кораблей Республики сильно повреждены и сейчас присоединились к флоту, который будет атаковать Минагис." SO I'm not really sure if it's a mistake or not, since these are kind of semi-muddy waters for me as well to get correct.

ON THAT NOTE THOUGH AS WELL. A lot of the new names in these chapters (like Patron, Zhenero and Sirius, Rothfu, etc.) I've tried to do some searching for to make sure they're right/real/have a theme if they do, etc., but it's a little harder this way and some of them I couldn't find squat for. So if anything seems wrong or like I might have borked something, please let me know! (I ask this too because Disith's commander Holt who is mentioned again later has a adjunct named Makarov which makes me pause like wait would his name technically be Colt then are they trying to do a thing with names there or...)

-TK-

Post by -TK- »

Wow Tara, good job! :D
Tara wrote: ON THAT NOTE THOUGH AS WELL. A lot of the new names in these chapters (like Patron, Zhenero and Sirius, Rothfu, etc.) I've tried to do some searching for to make sure they're right/real/have a theme if they do, etc., but it's a little harder this way and some of them I couldn't find squat for. So if anything seems wrong or like I might have borked something, please let me know! (I ask this too because Disith's commander Holt who is mentioned again later has a adjunct named Makarov which makes me pause like wait would his name technically be Colt then are they trying to do a thing with names there or...)
Well, names are always hard to translate! "Rothfu" is a city of Anatoray. In Prestalian its name is Ροτφλυς, which can be transliterated as Rotflys.

Concerning the name of the Disith Commander, his Japanese name is ホルティ・メルクーシン. I believe the correct translation is Horthy Merkushin. Maybe the authors took inspiration from Miklós Horthy de Nagybánya who was a Hungarian Admiral.

I have still to figure out where the names of the ships come from. Usually there is a pattern in their naming, for example Nordkhia ships were based on Irish mythology, Minagith ships on past British ships of the Royal Navy, etc
Patron, Zhenero and Sirius... what if they are French names? Patrie, Généreuse, Sérieuse?

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

-TK- wrote:Wow Tara, good job! :D
Tara wrote: ON THAT NOTE THOUGH AS WELL. A lot of the new names in these chapters (like Patron, Zhenero and Sirius, Rothfu, etc.) I've tried to do some searching for to make sure they're right/real/have a theme if they do, etc., but it's a little harder this way and some of them I couldn't find squat for. So if anything seems wrong or like I might have borked something, please let me know! (I ask this too because Disith's commander Holt who is mentioned again later has a adjunct named Makarov which makes me pause like wait would his name technically be Colt then are they trying to do a thing with names there or...)
Well, names are always hard to translate! "Rothfu" is a city of Anatoray. In Prestalian its name is Ροτφλυς, which can be transliterated as Rotflys.

Concerning the name of the Disith Commander, his Japanese name is ホルティ・メルクーシン. I believe the correct translation is Horthy Merkushin. Maybe the authors took inspiration from Miklós Horthy de Nagybánya who was a Hungarian Admiral.

I have still to figure out where the names of the ships come from. Usually there is a pattern in their naming, for example Nordkhia ships were based on Irish mythology, Minagith ships on past British ships of the Royal Navy, etc
Patron, Zhenero and Sirius... what if they are French names? Patrie, Généreuse, Sérieuse?
Does Rotflys has any sort of meaning? I forget if I tried googling the kana for it to see if anything specific came up since I do that sometimes with the names that way.

French names could make sense for those, even though Patrie seems the odd one out. SOMETIMES FIGURING OUT NAMES IS HARD.

-TK-

Post by -TK- »

Tara wrote: Does Rotflys has any sort of meaning? I forget if I tried googling the kana for it to see if anything specific came up since I do that sometimes with the names that way.
I can't find any meaning to "Rotflys"...
Using the kana in the map of Anatoray the name of the city is ロートフルス. I googled it and came up with "Rothfuß", which is a German name. Maybe it is a city of German immigrants.

Wutschiwu

Post by Wutschiwu »

-TK- wrote: Using the kana in the map of Anatoray the name of the city is ロートフルス. I googled it and came up with "Rothfuß", which is a German name.
That's true. Rothfuß is an old surname and literally translates to "red foot".
I bet they make nice shoes there in Rothfuß ;)

On a sidenote, for an Anime fantasy world Last Exile rather contains itself with the German. Luckily, i might add, because the results otherwise tend to be hilarious. I know I laughed out loud when I heard that Fam's hometown is called "Kartoffel". I bet it's the same with the little actual Greek in the series, though.

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

OH YEAH okay I did end up googling to find that, but I forgot why I didn't stick with it (maybe because it didn't seem to fit with the other names? But then again, some of the names of Anatoray places in Fam...)

-TK-

Post by -TK- »

Wutschiwu wrote: On a sidenote, for an Anime fantasy world Last Exile rather contains itself with the German. Luckily, i might add, because the results otherwise tend to be hilarious. I know I laughed out loud when I heard that Fam's hometown is called "Kartoffel". I bet it's the same with the little actual Greek in the series, though.
Well, the little actual Greek used is Lastexile - I can think of the written sides of the Claimh Solais and the words spoken by Alvis during her dream - is bad Greek! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I did a little research on the names of the Disith ships and this is my best guess (I've also tried to write them in kana):

Patrie (pre-dreadnought République-class battleship of the French Navy, 1906) パトリ
Généreux (Téméraire-class ship-of-the-line of the French Navy, 1795) ジェネルー
Sérieuse (Magicienne-class frigate of the French Navy, 1779) セリューズ