The Battle of Otranto

Translations, scans and any other in-progress Last Exile related projects.
Tara
Administrator

The Battle of Otranto

Post by Tara »

I FIGURED since the person translating this into Russian is taking their time, hence only a portion of the novel being up atm, I'd start a thread here to compile stuff as well as have discussion for this! And once it's finished up onto the domain it'll go. :D

AS A NOTE while throwing Russian into a bunch of translators is slightly easier than Japanese, if there is any confusion or mistakes (or typos because GOOD LORD I AM THE QUEEN OF TYPOS!!!) please let me know!! I'd like more than anything to have all translated things refined in a way that is both easy to read BUT at the same time trying to keep wording as close to the original as possible. That is sometimes a hard line to walk, heh. I already have a couple of chapters done and am near done with the third, so I'll toss up those two and we can take it from there!

For those who may not be aware, The Battle of Otranto - The Encounter of Two Men: Alex and Vincent is a novel that was included with a special edition Last Exile box set and focused on that battle that was vaguely mentioned in the talk between Alex and Vincent in the series.

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Here's the first chapter! There are different POVs for this (MUCH TO MY HAPPY SURPRISE AT THIS FIRST ONE).

1. Lucciola
Spoiler
"I'm getting bored..."

Lord Dio stretched, squaring his shoulders after sitting in front of a chessboard for a long period of time. Today, the Lord did not wish to remain in the palace, so we went to the observation ship.

"Do you wish to return to the palace?"

"No, I don't want to go back there. It's a better idea to stay here."

After saying this, Lord Dio frowned.

"As you wish."

Outside where there are battles in the air, there must always be an observation ship present. This is the job of the Guild. But for now, monitoring the progress of the battle is not necessary, so there is no reason for us to be here. We simply watch, not separating any of the Claudia units.

Nevertheless, if a violation of the rules was missed, what would Maestro Delphine think?

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

2. Vince
Spoiler
"It's getting cold."

I glanced at the cup filled with fragrant coffee in his hand. It was in a plain copper mug that had been roughed up, obtaining a few dents from falling to the floor. But thanks to the daily care of it, it hasn't lost its luster.

"Are you already out of coffee?" I asked first officer Rumolt, looking at the cup.

He is always attentive to such details. Due to his non-noble origin, he was sent to the ship for simple organizational work. And most likely, he paid someone off.

"No, I still have enough."

"Good."

I looked around, the bridge was in full view. It doesn't differ from those that are on all standard Anatoray battleships. And just as was the same case as on the other ships, there wasn't enough space in here. Initially, it was a large spacious area, but it was intentionally reduced by partitions. Personnel on the bridge was also reduced after getting rid of extra bodies to bring the total number of men to a minimum, yet still enough necessary for conducting battle.

Maybe there's something I don't understand about the nobility and prestige, but the presence of such pretentious and pompous people on the bridge will help little in the present battle. All ships are identical on the outside, but when it comes to functionality and defensive strength, none of them can compare to my ship, the "Vindictive."

No, not that. Maybe I should call it the 'Alzey family ship.'

"Captain Vincent!"

Rumolt's voice resounding from afar pulled me out of my thoughts. I have repeatedly told him to call me Vince - but this guy obviously never got rid of the habit. Rumolt looks calm, but a faint smile appears on his face. He was waiting for me to answer.

"What's wrong?"

"How is your mood today?"

"I'm in a good mood. Today is a national holiday."

"Is that so?"

Apparently, he seems to want to know whether the occasion entitles them to a day off. I wonder, is this sort of thing is decided on the other ships?

"Where is the commander?"

"Commander... well, he was pretty unhappy that he was in a such a place..."

"Don't say such nonsense, Senior Officer!" Rumolt gently chided with a chuckle.

"Beg your pardon. Unlike his subordinates, the commander was able to afford a full day off."

Such motivation and desire to work can't just be found on other ships. We're away from the main battlefield, and it's not known whether the enemy intends to attack all of our locations. But nothing can be done. We've been forced to carry out the order and take a defensive position on the Ontranto border area. In addition, even if the battle had not yet approached the nearest city of Rothfu, this was still no time for games. But for the commander, being here was nevertheless a shameful hit to his relegation. Even a noble like me has no place on the frontlines. In any case, it didn't come to mind to grieve that lost chance to line my pockets, taking advantage of my origins. Nevertheless, the crew of my ship was trained with the utmost care, ready to fight under any circumstances. I'm lucky that I can be absolutely confident in my people. And although by this time other crew aboard other ships would be resting, we're working in our location as expected, though nobody appears discontent with this. Nevertheless, the forces showing excessive zeal in work and trying their best, while necessary in an emergency, can be compared to putting the cart before the horse.

"It's quiet here right now, but don't forget that there's war going on. With the exception of infantry, all forces should remain in their places. As an exception, infantry can relax for today."

"Understood! ... and you, Captain?"

Contrary to those instructions, Rumolt asks that with a smile. To which I answer with the utmost vigor.

"Me? I'm staying here, of course."

Where else would the captain be if not on the bridge? But seeing the slight concern on Rumolt's face, I come "to the rescue."

"However, today I will be located in my cabin, so call me if anything happens. And more than that ... order the entire crew to 'get rid' of the bottles of rum."

"But ... we've no occasion..."

"Your birthday is coming up."

Rumolt looked puzzled at the order, and again he tried to protest.

"But my birthday isn't coming soon."

"Don't worry about such details. If you desired to have a birthday, first officer, you can celebrate at least twice, since the Guild can celebrate for a whole week!"

The entire crew laughed. The answer doesn't seem to convince Rumolt, but orders are orders. Finally agreeing, he slowly turned and saluted the rest of the crew to repeat the order of the captain.

"Roger! Orders to the crew ... to relax."

In response, the crew of the bridge also saluted. I intended to stay a little longer, but I had to leave. The captain's presence is nevertheless capable of causing awkwardness among the crew. Besides, I myself recently argued that when it comes to long stretches of time without leave, short-term respite doesn't hurt and will not make us useless if suddenly an emergency arises. Putting the mug down, I stood up and went to my cabin.

The captain's cabin. There's nothing but a small table, chairs and a hard bed. In contrast to the ornate cabins on the nobles' ships, it's practical, so more like any other normal room. Furthermore, in order to reduce the amount of combustible materials inside the ship, it was decided not to use wood framing, so the furniture is instead made of steel. Even the sheets were made of fire-resistant material, which in itself is very popular except for among the nobles who did not enjoy them. Perhaps other captains believe warships are extensions of their own homes? Some of the lovers of luxury who boarded ships even took their own servants with them. The job of men is here on the battlefield. So there should be no useless things. Functional and practical things, and possible other objects of personal leisure - those are sufficient. Are those not the aesthetics for a military man?

After throwing my cap on the table, I sit down in the chair, putting my feet on the table. Picking up the cap with my foot, I wave it a little side to side. In my field of sight is a photograph that's on my desk.

Since then, many years has passed. The days spent in the military academy are now remembered like a dream. At that time I shared a room with Alex. He seemed like a stiff and moody man. It seemed like he had forgotten how to smile, even in the womb. When we first met, I doubted he even had a real mother. He might as well have been born out of wood or stone. Later, from the stories I heard from Princess Sophia, I was convinced that he just didn't know how to enjoy life. So I did something because I wanted to cheer him up~.

I hid cheese and rotten fish in the room, but since it was a shared room, that idea was quickly abandoned. That guy doesn't lose self-control, even with the stench. Then came stews and soups spilled on textbooks. It's hard to recall. In addition, he remembered absolutely everything the teachers said during lessons. To some extent, his ability for memorization fascinated even me.

And then there was the Princess Sophia. The princess studied with us at the military academy in the class for people descendent from high-ranking families, so we became friends and spent a lot of time as a threesome along with Alex. Although I later learned that it was not an accident. It seemed the princess initially wanted this. And I, as it turned out, was a makeweight to Alex? Maybe my becoming friends with Alex was also her idea? Ahh, well the guy I was arranged with is a good one, no matter how you look at it. After release us two men began to participate in combat missions, although it all more greatly resembled an official appointment from higher up. There was no distinct information on that subject.

After some time, I received a letter from an unknown sender. From the handwriting, I realized that the letter was from Alex. He briefly wrote that he now served on a new type of ship. Part of a black ship was visible in a photograph that came with the letter. The letter was just his style. Nobody writes like him. As I'm thinking about all this, I start to get sleepy. Or maybe I can blame it on the usual fatigue.

Csilla Aria

Post by Csilla Aria »

8D so excited. OT3ing so hard right now.
And it seems there is some kind of time line confusion again, or even at times when she is still supposed to be alive Euris remains completely a non-character. You would think her name would at least get mentioned talking about time at the academy.

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Csilla Aria wrote:8D so excited. OT3ing so hard right now.
And it seems there is some kind of time line confusion again, or even at times when she is still supposed to be alive Euris remains completely a non-character. You would think her name would at least get mentioned talking about time at the academy.
God why can't I find any info anywhere to confirm, but Euris herself doesn't seem to have been in the academy? I know she was a vanship pilot and Marius' daughter, but I don't think it was mentioned that she attended academy. According to the timeline in 654, what happens in order is the Grand Stream attempted crossing where she dies, followed by Alex returning to the academy to "study upper-class courses."

Returned implies he was there before, even though the wiki's timeline doesn't mention anything beforehand. But in Alex's profile it mentions he meets Euris after the academy section, specifically where they mention Vince and Alex being roommates. Otranto happens soon after Alex is given the Silvana, so the academy flashbacks from Vince's POV seem more focused on Alex and Sophia and Alex hadn't even met Euris yet as of the time of the flashback. She is mentioned briefly in the next section though! But mostly in passing regarding Alex and ... his being Alex.

Csilla Aria

Post by Csilla Aria »

Tara wrote:
God why can't I find any info anywhere to confirm, but Euris herself doesn't seem to have been in the academy? I know she was a vanship pilot and Marius' daughter, but I don't think it was mentioned that she attended academy. According to the timeline in 654, what happens in order is the Grand Stream attempted crossing where she dies, followed by Alex returning to the academy to "study upper-class courses."

Returned implies he was there before, even though the wiki's timeline doesn't mention anything beforehand. But in Alex's profile it mentions he meets Euris after the academy section, specifically where they mention Vince and Alex being roommates. Otranto happens soon after Alex is given the Silvana, so the academy flashbacks from Vince's POV seem more focused on Alex and Sophia and Alex hadn't even met Euris yet as of the time of the flashback. She is mentioned briefly in the next section though! But mostly in passing regarding Alex and ... his being Alex.
At least she gets a mention then. I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that Sophia and Euris were close like sisters, so that still seems odd to me, especially with Alex and Sophia seeming to have been close even before she came into the picture. I can't for the life of me remember where I read that though.

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Featuring the story of how Alex came to be the Silvana's captain as Disith starts to move. o7

3. Sophia
Spoiler
Cold rain is pouring outside. It's the worst weather for pursuing an enemy fleet. The visibility is almost at zero, and even the work for the acoustics is difficult. But right now, there is a Disith fleet in front of us, and we cannot miss it. Because things are different - the fleet is not moving toward Minagith. At this rate, it will soon reach either Rothfu or Orisberg. And then it will begin to approach closer to Otranto. So the task at hand is complicated and problematic.<

"First Officer."

A sharp voice pierced through the silence of the bridge. Possibly, the captain had some sort of idea.

"Yes! I'm listening, Captain."

A pleasant voice responded to the deep baritone of the captain's. The voice of the commander, Alex Rowe. This ship was an independent combat unit and flagship of the Anatoray military, "Silvana." Our home. On the other hand, this ship is the only one of its kind out of the entire fleet. After enough persuasions, Prime Minister Marius still agreed to my selfish requests, and allowed us to fly aboard this ship. Since its basic mission consists of searching for the Exile as well as the interception of Disith ships, both of which are carried out in secret.

The appointed captain was Richard Percival, an honored veteran colonel. Where many young people cannot handle it, confidently managing a warship needed those professionals, despite their ages. This is particularly important when it comes to the leadership of this new of this ship, the Silvana. For this job, you need very carefully selected people. In truth, the captain should have been Rear Admiral Hamilcar, a confidant of Prime Minister Marius. But... his memories of Hamilcar must still fill his heart with pain. Even if part of his heart will always remain in the Grand Stream.

The grey rainy sky looks like the Grand Stream right now. Commander Alex must feel the same way, looking at the heavy clouds. With a decisive step he comes into the cabin and sits on a low chair, waiting for the captain to speak. Seeing him, Captain Percival picks up an envelope with a letter.

"Before our departure, the Prime Minister gave me instructions."

"The Prime Minister?" Alex asks with a shadow of doubt in his voice.

"Marius appointed a specific time to give you this envelope."

"Me?"

"Yes. I advise you to read it."

After saying this, the captain handed the envelope to Alex. Despite the stiffness in his voice, a smile was readable in his voice. There could be no mistake. Breaking the seal, Alex began to read and after a few moments, he looked at Percival in surprise.

"Captain, this is..."

The news was surprising but true, according to the contents of the letter, as of this moment the captain of the Silvana is Commander Alex. Hearing Alex's words, the now former captain Percival smiled wider.

"Based on this letter, this is now your ship, Captain Alex."

"But, captain..."<

Without having the time to finish, be receives an immediate reprimand:

"The ship has only one captain!"

Alex immediately stands and salutes Percival.

"Yes! Excuse me, commander."

"All right. You can now start to see to your duties."

"Start... right now?"<br

I've never seen Alex in a state of confusion. Usually, he doesn't show his emotions. Actually, no. I've seen joy on his face, but only when he flew in a vanship with her. I would very much like to see him smile again. Therefore, I will help him carry out his revenge. After preparing the Silvana and getting him appointed captain, I will be his assistant. Of course, Marius' feelings for him are that of a father's feelings. Now I have a role to play. Largely because of the circumstances of the transfer of command of the ship.

Alex still looks taken aback, and probably can't completely grasp what's happening. With a stern voice "Brigadier General" Percival pulls him out of his thoughts.

"Do you have something to say? Possibly ask 'will my knowledge be enough to take this position'?"

Whatever it was, overtaking the Disith fleet is now our primary objective. That's right... last night, thanks to the rain birds, we learned of the Disith ships' approach. After revealing the presence of the enemy fleet in Anatoray territory, we went after them. We don't have time to think about irrelevant things right now.

Additionally, and unlike the previous cases, this time the fleet appeared in southeast Norkia (2), and clearly weren't serving as reinforcements for the attack on Minagith (3). Now the fleet is moving in the opposite direction of Minagith. Despite the fact that there are many large cities located south of Minagith, the fleet keeps its direction toward Orisberg (5). But Orisberg is a well protected area - a veritable fortress, so Disith cannot afford to try and seize it. So that isn't their goal. Where are they going? If the fleet continues to move east, it will soon draw close to Rothfu (6). And then, if they break through Otranto's corridor, they will open the way to the Imperial capital (7). In the case of a simultaneous invasion from the Minagith area and from the side of the desert, the fortress of defense will be of no use, and the Imperial fleet's army will be powerless. Indeed, it's a good plan. Such a stab in the back is difficult to predict. Especially if one knows that the enemy is not aware of the situation in Otranto. Right now, there are only 10 ships and only a few people that I know of. But despite this, the enemy deliberately chose the target and is acting decisively. This suggests that it is possible that one of the ships slipped by as a spy.

At this point, Percival's voice sounded:

"Yes, Alex Row, if we continue to pursue Disith, we will certainly win the battle. Excellent. Thus, from this point on, I remove myself from control of this ship. Show me what you can do, Alex."

Alex was now the captain. With a smile, Commander Percival pulls out another envelope.

"Sophia, this is for you."

At last, my name was called. Marius' plan was completed, with this. I take the envelope from the hands of the commander and look inside. As expected, inside were instructions. I'm being assigned as first assistant to Alex. After reading the letter, I smile broadly.

"First assistant?"

"Yes. The Prime Minister has appointed you as Alex's assistant."

"I see. Captain, shall I inform the crew about these appointments?"

When the crew of the ship is informed of the appointment of Alex as captain, as well as my appointment as his first assistant, there will be a kind of ritual, marking the end of the previous era. Alex did not seem to notice that I spoke to him? In a low voice, I said the word "captain" again. This time he heard me, answering with a bit of an agitated voice:

"Yes. Yes, of course, tell them."

"Roger."

After obtaining permission, I approached the intercom device installed on the bridge, and flipped the switch to alert the entire ship.

"Attention to the entire crew, this is First Assistant Sophia. Along with the appointment of now Commander Brigadier General Percival, leadership of this ship has now been assigned to Captain Alex."

Hearing this, the former captain and now brigadier general looked noticeably concerned.

"Sophia, that appointment..."

"It's okay. I have a letter of appointment from Marius. He would like you to take part in carrying out this mission."

While saying this, I pull out his copy of the letter. This is thanks to Marius.

"So this is how ... well, if that's the case, then I have no reason to refuse."

"Yes, please accept this appointment as a sign of our gratitude to you."

In the military academy, when Alex was appointed first lieutenant and commander of the crew, I came to the Silvana as a second lieutenant. Since then, I've really learned a lot from Percival. From the principles of work on the warship as well as how best to organize the work of the crew, to strategy of air combat to the purchases of food stocks. Pretty much everything. And as we moved up in promotions, the colonel continued to teach us. And for that, we had to thank him. Perhaps Alex was also thought that. He politely turned to Percival:

"Commander, I instruct you to develop a strategy."

"Roger. As I said earlier, we should keep pursuing the Disith fleet. So from here on, you give all of the orders, Alex."

Still holding onto the communication tube, I get stuck in their conversion:

"Isn't it wonderful, Captain Alex?"

"Hm. With you having such a zeal to work, I don't think I have much to do here."

"What are you complaining about? This is only the beginning."

"I suppose. So, Silvana, full speed! Continue to pursue the enemy fleet!"

Alex gives the order with some joy in his voice. Without needing to say anything, I know that he always wanted to be captain of this ship. So I just as happily answer him:

"Roger!"

Csilla Aria

Post by Csilla Aria »

I wonder how much of that was set up just to see Alex's reaction to completely unexpectedly just being handed the ship.

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Csilla Aria wrote:I wonder how much of that was set up just to see Alex's reaction to completely unexpectedly just being handed the ship.
Probably a lot. Sophia sure did a lot of string-pulling through the years it seems. Also Percival seems like a bro.

Also the mention of Hamilcar. :(

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

I'm on a roll with this apparently! Only two more chapters after this one though, until we wait for more to be released. :< I've also asked how many chapters/how long the whole thing is to give us an idea.

Anyway, this is as short chapter.

4. Disith Fleet
Spoiler
"Commander Holt, 32 ships successfully passed through the Grand Stream," a young voice sounded.

The lights on the bridge suddenly went out. Visible under the red emergency light were only peoples' silhouettes. A harsh voice responsed:

"Eight additional ships as well as us are nothing more than "lame ducks."

"That's right. Three ships - the Patron, Zhenero and Sirius - were hit. Following them, five ships of the Republic were badly damaged, and have now joined the fleet that will attack Minagith."

A heavy sigh was heard from the owner of the harsh voice.

"Status report on the remaining ships."

"Roger. Four ships have been half-damaged, and the damage of the eleven ships are insignificant. No violations in the conduct of battle were found."

"Acknowledged. If this is the entirety of the military power we possess right now, then we will not take Otranto."

There was a touch of calmness in his voice as he answered:

"No need to worry. According to information from the Guild, there are only ten ships in Otranto right now."

"Excellent. All ships, set a course to Otranto."

"Roger, set course to Otranto."

The "Reparation" class Disith ships that passed through the Grand Stream formed their ranks and with a rumble and roar, began to move in the direction of Otranto. Nobody in Anatoray or Otranto knew of the approach of the enemy.