Names of the Months

Discussion about the Last Exile series.
Wutschiwu

Names of the Months

Post by Wutschiwu »

Hello everybody,

Since Last Exile uses its own calendar I was wondering if there is any background material regarding the names and maybe the lengths of the months in Prester.
Right now I only know for certain that there is a month called Toragos (goat), which was mentioned when Anatoray and Disith tried to capture the Claudia-Units.
According to the information about the Battle of Otranto -TK- has posted there is also the month Tauros. However, these are the only names I know so far.

I am suspecting some kind of connection to the Zodiac, but it does not seem to match up.

-TK-

Post by -TK- »

Hi!

From the "large Encyclopedia" section of the Aerial Log (page 66): "Month of the Goat (Tragos): one of the months in the calendar system of Anatoray. Starting from the beginning of the year, the names of the months are Tragos, Ydrochoos, Ichthyes, Krios, Tauros, Didymoi, Karkinos, Leon, Parthenos, Zygos, Scorpios and Toxotes. As for the seasons in Anatoray, Tragos serves as midsummer."

(山羊月 (トラゴス)アナトレーの暦法での月の一つ。他の月名は、年の初めからトラゴス、ヒュドロコオス、イクテュエス、クリーオス、タウロス、ディデュモイ、カルキノス、レオーン、パルテノス、ジュゴン、スコルピオス、トクソテースとなる。アナトレーの季節ではトラゴスが真夏となる。)

Apparently those names are taken from the Greek zodiac, apart from Tragos, which should have been Aigokeros (Capricorn in Greek: a "Capricorn" is more or less a goat, though). Here is the full list:

Τράγος = Tragos = Goat (should have been Αιγόκερως = Aigokeros = Capricorn)
Υδροχόος = Ydrochoos = Aquarius
Ιχθύες = Ichthyes = Pisces
Κριός = Krios = Aries
Ταύρος = Tauros = Taurus
Δίδυμοι = Didymoi = Gemini
Καρκίνος = Karkinos = Cancer
Λέων = Leon = Leo
Παρθένος = Partheos = Virgo
Ζυγός = Zygos = Libra
Σκορπιός = Skorpios = Scorpio
Τοξότης = Toxotes = Sagittarius

Nothing is said about their length or if they are somehow related to our calendar.

Wutschiwu

Post by Wutschiwu »

Thank you!

Wow, that was a quick reply. I guess it was the explicit translation to "goat" that got me confused.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

For length, I venture to guess it's the same as what we know. On top of the standard 12 months we have (with roughly the same formula, like Tragos = Jan, Ydrochoos = Feb, etc.), the calendar Dio is stabbing in the first series reflects January's in terms of number of days (31).
Spoiler
The calendars in Fam episode 9 also reflect this, which shows what is assumed to be Zygos/October due to the holidays you can see in a couple of close ups. (Sweetest Day on the 20th, THOUGH you can also see in the calendar that the week starts on a Monday where Sweetest Day is supposed to be on the third Saturday) (Also Dictionary Day on the 16th which IS right in that case)
Spoiler
Image Image
ALSO HELLO AND WELCOME. 8D!!!!

Wutschiwu

Post by Wutschiwu »

Tara wrote:ALSO HELLO AND WELCOME. 8D!!!!
Thanks. I am glad I found a forum about this great series. I very much enjoyed some of the topics, espeacially the translated sections from the japanese background material.

Anyway, those are some great screenshots. I think it is actually kinda funny that they included those holidays. I definitely did not noticed that when i watched it.

In another topic it was speculated that Prester and Earth are on the same Orbit around the sun. Therefore both planets should have an equally long year and since they are still using hours, minutes and seconds to measure time on Prester, i guess it makes sense that they have the same number of days as on Earth (assuming a day on Prester is still 24 hours long).
I don't know, maybe this is far-fetched, but it does seem logical.

Anyway, thank you very much for these quick and informative answers.

Corny

Post by Corny »

So, the month is called Toragos in the Japanese and English dub?
Funny - it's Capricornus in the German dub. Kinda odd that someone would alter this in a translation, isn't it?

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Corny wrote:So, the month is called Toragos in the Japanese and English dub?
Funny - it's Capricornus in the German dub. Kinda odd that someone would alter this in a translation, isn't it?
Huh that's interesting! Maybe they decided to just go with the "should have been" along with the rest. Even if the naming for Tragos is the odd one out (despite is still making sense in its own way).