The map of the Grand Lake

Discussion about the Fam, The Silver Wing series.
-TK-

The map of the Grand Lake

Post by -TK- »

Every fan knows that on the official site there is a map of the Grand Lake and the surrounding countries.

Besides, in 2011 NewType Ace released a special booklet called "Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam - Flight Log" that contained a larger version of the same map. This map details Fam's route from episode #01 to #15 and gives additional information on various places around the Grand Lake.

Unfortunately these maps have names and places written in Greek, so I decided to make my own translated version. :mrgreen:

The Grand Lake Map

This map takes into account the Flight Log, the map on the official site, the info contained in the glossary, and things shown in the anime.

Well, I am not sure about a couple of things, for instance:
- the location of the "Fields Territory" is just my guess;
- the location of Kumari, Arshia and Sepehr is another guess (these countries are listed in the official Glossary though);
- the position of Lierre...

So, maybe it is not 100% right, but I am open to suggestions to improve it!

As a final note, the names of the various cities do not make any sense (save a few), as well as the transliteration of the notes in the four corners of the map.

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Oh! I had a half finished project of this since I had tried to mega HQ scan the map to make out some of the smaller names (like Santa Cruz and Tlaxcala, I remember being like wooooooh AWESOME at the familiar names), though there are some that are sort of ridiculous to make out. You seem to have a better eye than me since a few of those I couldn't make out (which is why I never properly finished). XD But man the things on the corners of the map confused the hell out of me, too.

Here's a huge ass scan though some things are still harder to really make out since even scanning as large as possible, the map still had some squint-worthy sections.

That section near Anatoray on this version of the map is known as the "Peace Talks Site" And beneath Turan is the Belhooll Region.

-TK-

Post by -TK- »

Tara wrote:Oh! I had a half finished project of this since I had tried to mega HQ scan the map to make out some of the smaller names (like Santa Cruz and Tlaxcala, I remember being like wooooooh AWESOME at the familiar names), though there are some that are sort of ridiculous to make out. You seem to have a better eye than me since a few of those I couldn't make out (which is why I never properly finished). XD But man the things on the corners of the map confused the hell out of me, too.
I also used screencaps from the anime to determine the names of some cities that were impossible to read.
Here's a huge ass scan though some things are still harder to really make out since even scanning as large as possible, the map still had some squint-worthy sections.
I think it is not a matter of scanning, the quality of the original picture in the Flight Log could have been better. I worked on mine with a magnifier to no avail!
That section near Anatoray on this version of the map is known as the "Peace Talks Site" And beneath Turan is the Belhooll Region.
You are right, I missed the Belhooll Region, but for the "Peace Talks Site" I believe there's a mistake in the "Flight Log" because in the series there is only one "Peace Talk Site", that's the place where Ades and Turan were supposed to meet in the first episode.