Suggestions Box & Feedback

Updates, announcements and rules for the site and forum, as well a suggestions box for any ideas.
Tara
Administrator

Suggestions Box & Feedback

Post by Tara »

So here's how this is going to work!

If you have a random suggestion about anything for the site or for the forum, you can bring it up here and I'll see what I can do. Things to add or change or look into or whatever to make the site both fun and easy to navigate (this includes bad translations and typos; I'm not always of sober mind when typing out this stuff!). Though at the moment I'm not looking too much into crazy forum add-ons and want to keep stuff overall pretty simple on this end of things. But all the same, nothing is not worth bringing up, even if it either doesn't happen or gets put on a to-do list for future reference. So please come in and speak up!

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

I'm actually looking for feedback on a couple of things since the entire domain has just gone live and everything is still fresh and new! The layout currently up on the main site (you can see it here) is something worked on as a tentative start to things.

One thing I'm wondering about is the top bar and drop-down lists. Due to the fact that I plan to put a lot of things on the site, I'm considering nixing the drop down lists and simply letting each top link lead to its own page. That way there'll be more freedom to add sections and links on each page (especially if we get some good suggestions in the future for new things) later instead of having to go through everything to add something to the drop down menu. Unless people think the drop downs are supes cool wow!! I am probably going to end up changing things up to make navigating a little easier (I hope?!) overall.

The second thing I'm wondering is your usual: the site just opened, I want to eventually put a lot of goodies up there. What sort of goodies and cool things do you like seeing on sites? I have ideas for wallpapers, adoptables and the like, but the more ideas, the merrier.

And the final thing! I installed a few different language packs on the forums for anyone who might need them. Hopefully they all work okay! Aaaand I know at least where I currently store (and will soon be moving here) the projects and translations and info stuff I have so far, that I've had a number of bi/multilingual speakers pop up and add things. If there are enough around I could and would add a few more forums catered for series discussion in other languages for non-English speakers-- since I am not sure of the sorts of fandom sites and communities that exist out there for anyone else.

Csilla Aria

Post by Csilla Aria »

I think little banners with a link leading back to the site for people to place in profiles might be good.

(Sorry if this isn't clear..) I like the drop down menu, but it getting overly cluttered would be a problem. Is there a way the drop down for the main page could lead to another page (say the Last Exile original series page) and then that page could have it's own sub-categories, like characters, and episode summaries and such?

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

I'd been working on at least one link-back banner to get started with. And like I said I was most likely going to do, changed up the navigation a little bit. At least this way if a section can be added, it'll be easier to add it to a single page. As I start building it up, we'll see what works and what might not in terms of things being easy to find-- but again, any changes will be easy to implement so there is that!

Csilla Aria

Post by Csilla Aria »

I read what you said about RPing, and thought maybe people would like a place to RP somewhere in the forums. I don't RP at all or really know anything about modding one, so I have no idea how difficult that would be though....

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Some forums do RP-type stuff (though I've never really done forum RPing myself), so we'll see if activity warrants adding something like in the future, definitely. o>

Astral Kyouki

Post by Astral Kyouki »

I agree with Csilla, it would definitely be nice to have a "Roleplay" category. I think it would also be nice to have a category under "Other" for non-LE related artwork, writing, cosplay, etc. so that we can share what we've created. In addition, and I would understand if this idea is shot down since it doesn't involve any serious discussion and is just for entertainment, I've seen a "Games" category on a few forums for word games/image games such as "The Person Above You" and "The Question Game."

One other thing I would strongly suggest is to enable images in signatures. It makes posts look nicer, in my opinion.

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

Wow Tara can you not fall asleep after adding to the forum before you actually go back to mention it. Good job self. 8Db

But yes! I added a general fanworks forum on the Other section. As for little threads and stuff for games, that's more or less what the chit chat section is for-- all of those fun round robin things and whatever offshoot kind of fun random threads people can think up and jump into and pass the time, like what are you listening to, what are you this and that, etc. I rounded it off by turning the "Other Anime & Manga" subforum into more of a general Media talk forum so it doesn't sound like it excludes comics, games or other sorts of TV shows.

Also went to add image bbc for signatures. But as for roleplaying stuff. 'w' If there are a few people interested in at least maybe starting something or even trying out a couple of one-on-one things, I can add a forum for that as well to dabble in. My experience with that sort of thing and what I've seen with how they work on other forums is to start a thread for the actual RP with another thread for more... OOC talk and planning? Both labeled accordingly of course. I've done general round-robin fanfiction with people in the past which wasn't exactly roleplay, since it wasn't writing for a certain character-specific? At least I think since like I said, I'm not that familiar with the whole process. XD

Csilla Aria

Post by Csilla Aria »

Tara wrote:Wow Tara can you not fall asleep after adding to the forum before you actually go back to mention it. Good job self. 8Db

But yes! I added a general fanworks forum on the Other section. As for little threads and stuff for games, that's more or less what the chit chat section is for-- all of those fun round robin things and whatever offshoot kind of fun random threads people can think up and jump into and pass the time, like what are you listening to, what are you this and that, etc. I rounded it off by turning the "Other Anime & Manga" subforum into more of a general Media talk forum so it doesn't sound like it excludes comics, games or other sorts of TV shows.

Also went to add image bbc for signatures. But as for roleplaying stuff. 'w' If there are a few people interested in at least maybe starting something or even trying out a couple of one-on-one things, I can add a forum for that as well to dabble in. My experience with that sort of thing and what I've seen with how they work on other forums is to start a thread for the actual RP with another thread for more... OOC talk and planning? Both labeled accordingly of course. I've done general round-robin fanfiction with people in the past which wasn't exactly roleplay, since it wasn't writing for a certain character-specific? At least I think since like I said, I'm not that familiar with the whole process. XD
OMG YAY! Can we put non-fan stuff there? I do a lot more original art that fanart.

LOL round-robin fics. I used to do those with a pair of RL friends in note books. That was so much fun.... I don't think we ever came up with anything that wasn't of the "What the hell were on when you wrote this?" variety.

Astral Kyouki

Post by Astral Kyouki »

Tara wrote:Wow Tara can you not fall asleep after adding to the forum before you actually go back to mention it. Good job self. 8Db

Thank you! It will be fun to see what kind of threads get started in these new sections, and I might just create a few here and there myself. Also, thanks for clarifying what the "Chit Chat" section is for! I wasn't completely sure as to what could and couldn't be accepted as "off-topic babble."

Ahh I'm so glad that you added the image BBC! And I think that, if enough people are interested, an RP section would be a good idea for both one-on-one and multi-character roleplays! Although I'm not sure if you guys want the roleplays to be exclusively canon characters, or if OCs are okay as well. Either way, the way I've seen things in other forums, the first post is always the rules for the RP and information about the plot, as well as a generic profile skeleton for characters. Anyone wishing to join the RP PMs the thread author the completed profile for their character, and then the author posts all of the accepted profiles in a separate thread. I've seen a few OOC threads, but personally I think it's a lot easier to put your OOC in double parentheses underneath the body of your post :)
Csilla Aria wrote: OMG YAY! Can we put non-fan stuff there? I do a lot more original art that fanart.
I was wondering that, too, since a good portion of my artwork is original as well!