The Battle of Otranto

Discussion about the Last Exile series.
-TK-

The Battle of Otranto

Post by -TK- »

The Japenese limited edition of the Last Exile DVD Box - the same of the Chronicles Book - contained also an additional booklet with a short novel called オトラント会戦〜男達の邂逅 アレックスとヴィンセント (The Battle of Otranto - The encounter of two men: Alex and Vincent).

Unfortunately I don't have either the book or the text of the novel, however I could find a short description of the battle.

The Battle of Otranto was an important battle fought on Tauros 15th (GD662) between the Anatoray and Disith forces in the immediate surroundings of the harbour of Otranto. It happened about two years before the Third Battle of Minagith (GD664).

Disith led a surprise attack against Anatoray: they did not notify in advance the "request for battle", thus acting outside the Chivalry Rules.

However, thanks to the providential intervention of the Silvana - a warship under the direct command of the Emperor - the fleet of Otranto led by the Vindictive (captain: Vincent Altzey) succeeded in defeating the Disith fleet even though the latter was three times larger.

This is the battle bulletin:

Anatoray Forces:
- Otranto Defence Fleet (Commander: Rear Admiral Vindex Galba);
- Imperial Fleet.

Involved warships:
- 10 Anatoray standard battleships;
- Silvana.

Outcome of the Battle:
- 6 warships sunk;
- 1 warship damaged;
- 4 warships survived (Vindictive, Naiad, Phoebe, Silvana).

Toll:
- Dead/MIA: 1,157 soldiers;
- Wounded: 4,019 Soldiers.

Disith Forces:
- Disith Special Assault Fleet (Commander: Rear Admiral Horthy Merkushin)

Involved warships:
- 32 Reparation class battleships.

Outcome of the Battle:
- 20 warships sunk (including the flagship Aigle);
- 8 warships heavily damaged;
- 4 warships partially damaged.

Toll:
- Dead/MIA: 63,908 soldiers;
- Wounded: 16,248 Soldiers.

Tara
Administrator

Post by Tara »

I really wish the novel was somewhere out there, short of actually trying to find and buy it online where the booklet isn't included/possibly lost. That said I would help find it though atm I wouldn't be able to afford jack right now. '-'!! Chronicles as a whole is another huge TL project. Maybe I'll start a thread for it in the Projects section since I have bits and pieces.

Though this raises the question, as does the thread about the Ades fleets, as to where I can put these up in an easily findable place. Or possibly adding new sections...

But man I hope one day someone gets their hands on this, or there's someone out there who does who would scan/textdrop it. I CAN HOLD OUT HOPE and keep crossing my fingers that people spread enough word so more people with cool things to contribute pop in and hang.

Also for anyone checking out this thread, here is a fun link for name ref.

-TK-

Post by -TK- »

Tara wrote:But man I hope one day someone gets their hands on this, or there's someone out there who does who would scan/textdrop it. I CAN HOLD OUT HOPE and keep crossing my fingers that people spread enough word so more people with cool things to contribute pop in and hang.
The only thing I've found so far is a scan of the maps of the battle.
I've drawn my own translated versions:

Anatoray Map

Otranto Map
Tara wrote:Also for anyone checking out this thread, here is a fun link for name ref.
I've been there a couple of weeks ago :mrgreen: :mrgreen: